Everyone wants the sweet taste of success in their lives, but it can be an elusive thing—made all the more elusive because the definition of success can vary. For some people, success means wealth. For others, it can mean a big, happy family. Or it can mean a lasting, positive impact on the world. Really, success can be different for everyone. But no matter what that definition maybe be, there is a common denominator. Actually, there are 12 of them—and they take the form of the dozen traits successful people share when realizing their bold achievements. And here they are!
12 Traits of Successful People
- Successful people are purposeful and focused. They know what they want to achieve, and they set clear goals. Successful people know that without clear goals, all efforts are vague and ambiguous. As Stephen Covey tersely captures it, “Begin with the end in mind.”
- They set the high bar standard and push for change. Aiming for excellence is one of the key traits of successful people. They stretch themselves by looking for new and higher goals. Successful people thrive by continually challenging the status quo.
- Success entails a willingness to take risks. One of the traits of successful people is that they are not afraid to fail. Therefore, for them, failure is an opportunity to learn, grow, and find new ways to do things.
- Successful people take responsibility for their actions. They understand the impact of their actions on the people around them and towards the achievement of their goal. With this awareness, their actions are deliberate and well-thought-out.
- Successful people make sacrifices. They understand that delaying gratification can help them work harder until they achieve their goal. After the toil and hard work, the rewards at the end of the journey will all be worth it.
- Successful people pursue the things that they love. They work on undertakings that they believe in and are passionate about. With such drive and passion, no amount of failure can deter them from achieving their goals.
- Planning and setting specific steps are valuable traits of successful people. With eyes fixed forward, successful people formulate precise actions that contribute to the achievement of the goal. It’s not enough to have a purpose. One must decide how to get there.
- Successful people are perpetual learners. They are keen on self-improvement and hungry for knowledge. They surround themselves with uplifting people, and they learn from other people’s stories.
- Successful people are innovative. They are creative and think out of the box. Successful people are successful because of their ability to look at old challenges with fresh eyes. With unconventional perspectives, groundbreaking ideas are born.
- Confidence and courage are necessary traits of successful people. With confidence in their skills and capabilities, successful people can gather the courage to speak up and bring their ideas to the world.
- Successful people are master storytellers and skillful communicators. They command attention and convey ideas to their audience. Similarly, they listen with the intent to understand. Lastly, they know how to synthesize ideas, even from opposing camps.
- Successful individuals touch other people’s lives by serving others and giving back. By setting an example, successful people help create a society where kindness is upheld and compassion is the norm.
Personal achievement guru Zig Ziglar once said, “If you are not willing to learn no one can help you. If you are determined to learn no one can stop you.” And the first step in that learning process should be to acknowledge these dozen traits. Because if you do, success will eventually follow.