One of the most common questions we ask when meeting new people is “What do you do?” For most of us, the answers are pretty standard, like a job in sales and marketing, academia, or the medical field. But believe it or not, there are jobs out there that are wonderfully unique and interesting—and some are even high-paying, too! If you are looking to shift to an unconventional career, here is a shortlist of some fun, unusual jobs to get you started.
Extremely Cool Jobs With the “Fun” Factor
The words “extremely cool and fun” are rarely used to describe a job. But that’s not the case for the following list of professions. In fact, that is in the job description.
- Skydiver Instructor may be one of the fun unusual jobs you are looking for—especially if jumping out of planes excites you. Besides the adrenaline rush, a full-time skydiver instructor can earn between $20,000 and $40,000 per year.
- Luxury Car Test Driver for high-end car brands like Ferrari, BMW, and Porsche might be a dream job for someone who lives and breathes for cars. When you are paid to test-drive flashy cars, what more can you ask for?
- Chocolate Experts taste chocolates for a living. Chocolate companies, like Hershey Co., Mondelez and Ferrero Group, hire people who can sample, evaluate and develop new products. This one is definitely a sweet tooth’s dream job.
- Computer Game Testers or beta game testers are individuals who carefully test video games to catch bugs and glitches before they are launched to the public. Game testers usually earn $49,000 per year.
- Hotel Reviewers are paid to audit hotels—including facilities, services, and overall experiences—around the world. There are exotic locations, incredible culinary experiences, and often great pay that goes with it—truly the dream gig of a lifetime.
Jobs with Societal and Public Safety Impact
Fun and unusual jobs can also be meaningful and have a profound societal impact at the same time. These jobs are particularly satisfying because of their contribution to public health and safety.
- Ethical Hackers are paid a lot to break into firewalls and network security systems to test vulnerabilities. By exposing weaknesses, experts can improve the internal system and work to prevent data breaches down the road.
- Theme Park Ride Testers are crucial in ensuring the safety of theme park patrons. They inspect every nut and bolt of each ride, listen for air leaks, and test out the rides themselves. Amusement parks are not the same without the expertise of theme park ride testers.
- Snake Milkers help create anti-venom medicine used by laboratories and hospitals by harvesting venom from poisonous snakes. Snake milking is certainly not a typical career, but it does contribute a lot in saving people’s lives.
- Animal Conservation Professionals such as panda huggers or tortoise caretakers make it to the list of fun and unusual jobs. If you are inclined towards nature and wildlife, this job is certainly a great option to consider.
High-paying Jobs with Unusual Requirements
These are jobs placed at the far end of the oddity spectrum due to their unusual requirements. Still, someone has to do it.
- Professional Sleepers are paid as subjects for research on sleep and related topics. Some companies specializing in beds and sleeping implements also hire professional sleepers to test their products.
- Odor Judges make a living by testing the effectiveness of odor-reducing products such as mouthwash, deodorants and pet-related products. People with a sensitive sense of smell may consider pursuing a job in this field.
- Resort Employees certainly belong on the list of fun and unusual jobs. If waking up to a pristine beach on a remote island while managing luxurious facilities appeals to you, this post might be the career move you are looking for.
- Pet Food Tasters are highly-skilled and highly-paid professionals who evaluate a pet food’s nutritional value, appearance and flavor. Professionals in this field can earn up to $100,000 per year.
- Face Feelers or Sensory Scientists are professionals whose focus is on the sensory effect of personal care products. Manufacturers of facial and skincare hire people who evaluate the products as they are applied to the skin.
Do You Have What It Takes for One of These Fun and Unusual Jobs?
When we’re children and we’re asked the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” our eyes light up with eagerness as we share our dreams of wanting to be doctors, veterinarians, pilots or astronauts. However, this sense of awe and wonder fades as we head out to the real world. Thankfully, it’s not too late to make a change.