Whether you’re escaping the heat of summer or craving some exquisite foliage, autumn is a great time to travel. Many people choose autumn travel because it tends to be less touristy. Others prefer to plan trips to their favorite fall vacation spots during this time of the year. As you might imagine, there are plenty of excellent destinations from which to choose. There’s also plenty of good reasons for fall travel (and you can read about those reasons in this Project Bold Life story!). Some let you immerse yourself in nature while others take advantage of popular places during off-peak times. With this in mind, here are 10 of the top fall vacation spots you might consider this year.
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming – This is one of many people’s favorite fall vacation spots because it has so much to offer. Nestled next to the Grand Teton National Park, Jackson Hole boasts a magnificent view. Likewise, it is just south of Yellowstone National Park, making it easy to see Old faithful and many other sights. The town also has numerous quaint shops and quality restaurants to complete your autumn travel trip.
- Sonoma, California – In the midst of California wine country, Sonoma’s rolling hills and colorful countryside are beautiful. Naturally, this autumn travel destination offers wine tours, cycling trips, and hiking activities. But it’s also a great fall vacation spot simply to enjoy the scenery, take a long drive, and stop in the little towns along the way.
- Asheville, North Carolina – You might guess that a place like Asheville enjoys incredible foliage in the fall. Its location within the Blue Ridge Mountains creates a perfect climate for some spectacular fall colors and excellent hiking adventures. (Read more about the possible benefits of hiking adventures in this Project Bold Life story.) But in addition, Asheville has wonderful restaurants, great music, numerous art galleries and some great craft breweries. For all of these reasons, many consider it on their short list of fall vacation spots.
- New York City – The city that never sleeps is another great choice for autumn travel as well. Central Park is usually adorned with beautifully colored foliage also. Plus, New York offers the best in find dining, art museums, and entertainment. While Broadway may not yet be back in full force, there’s plenty to do in New York in the fall. And it’s likewise a time when tourist volumes tend to be their lowest.
- The Berkshires, Massachusetts – If you’ve never been to Western Massachusetts, you might want to consider the Berkshires for your autumn travel. Its mountain range, which is also part of the Blu Ridge Trail, shows off incredible colors in the fall. Likewise, small towns like Lenox, Pittsfield, and Stockbridge located within the Berkshires are quaint and full of sweet surprises. Whether its sightseeing, hiking, or shopping, the Berkshires is also one of the most popular fall vacation spots.
- Santa Fe, New Mexico – Located just north of Albuquerque, Santa Fe is an artist’s haven and a great place for autumn travel. There are numerous fall festivals throughout the season, and the aspens are incredible in color in September. You can visit Georgia O’Keefe’s art collections or other regional artist’s works. Likewise, you can enjoy great wines and fine dining throughout the town as well. Or you might decide to hike the Sangre de Cristo Mountains nearby. If you’ve never been, Santa Fe is one of the best fall vacation spots certain to impress.
- Burlington, Vermont – Vermont is home to some of the most colorful foliage in autumn around. Plus, it’s a great place for autumn travel for a number of other reasons. Burlington, in particular, has a number of craft breweries to enjoy and also is located near Lake Champlain. You can also enjoy apple-picking at some of the nearby vineyards or taking part in pumpkin patch festivals. It’s notorious as one of the more idyllic fall vacation spots during this time of year.
- Telluride, Colorado – Many places in the Colorado mountains may be considered for autumn travel. But Telluride is one of the best fall vacation spots this time of year. Not only are you surrounded by majestic mountains, but you’ll be immersed in reds and yellows. Telluride also has ample activities including hiking, cycling and rock climbing. Or you can choose more relaxing activities like riding the gondola.
- Flagstaff, Arizona – Located in the northern portion Arizona, Flagstaff is a great mix of history and nature. Choose to visit the Petrified Forest National Park near the Painted Desert. Or explore 900-year-old pueblos while exploring Native American history and culture. Also, Flagstaff is close to the Grand Canyon National Park as well. For these reasons, it offers a great destination for autumn travel.
- Maui, Hawaii – Not everyone necessarily wants to see the fall colors as part of their autumn travel. Some just want to escape the hustle and bustle and relax on a faraway beach. This is also one of the benefits of a vacation. For those, Maui might be one of the fall vacation spots to consider when planning your getaway. In addition to miles of beautiful beaches, Maui also offers hiking in the rain forest and several luxurious indulgences. For those thinking of a more exotic vacation, this is a great choice.
It’s a Perfect Time for an Autumn Escape
In the recent months, opportunities to travel have increased as many have received vaccinations. After more than a year in dealing with COVID, most of us are more than ready to plan a getaway. In this regard, fall offers a great time to travel for several reasons. Certainly, it remains a great time to be outdoors and enjoy the scenery. But it’s also a time when travelers will be fewer in number as school starts back. This means destinations will be less crowded, and vacation packages less pricey. Plus, autumn travel is a great way to recharge your batteries before the upcoming holiday season. If this sounds appealing to you, then the above destinations are among the best fall vacation spots.
The world is getting back to business. Are you ready to join it? Get the acclaimed book that can help you live Bold!